Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Stupid Groundhog

As we all know, groundhogs everywhere saw their shadow yesterday. Not that it makes a particle of difference--particularly where we live--since I've seen it snow heavily on Tax Day and have even seen flakes as late as mid-May.

There's something about February that really sets in the winter blues though, and it's when I really have to start digging around in my super-secret mom's bag of tricks. Now, I'm a firm believer in letting kids use their imagination and entertaining themselves. I am not their 24-hour clown. But realistically, they are still 5 and 3 and need a little help from time to time with activities on these long, cold days.

Yesterday I found in my freezer a tube of gingerbread dough left over from Christmas. The date stamp on it said use by Feb 09 and we have heart cookie cutters, so voila! Ready-made afternoon activity.

Lucy and Elaine each got a portion of dough, their own cookie sheet, and heart cookie cutter. Copious amounts of dough also disappeared into their mouths. And yes, I neglected to have Lucy change out of her uniform before baking. We like to live on the edge like that.



After the cookies baked, I frosted them and the girls sprinkled sugar on them. Again, copious amounts of sugar went into their mouths as well. And "sprinkled" might be too refined a term. "Dumped" is a little more accurate for Lucy, and "Stood on a chair and threw handfuls into the stratosphere" is a little more accurate for Elaine.

But...here is our finished project. Very cheery. (Also, shout-out to Jennie; this is still my favorite tray!)



Of course we each enjoyed the fruit of our labour.



Only six weeks (supposedly) of winter days left!

4 comments:

Juliet said...

Did you save one for me?

Alice said...

We have a tupperware full of them. I'm not completely sure you want one though. Remember there was a lot of tasting of things going on. At one point, I caught Elaine licking the counter.

Jill said...

We baked cookies yesterday too -- anything to cheer us up I tell you. I definitely have been feeling the February blah's myself!We can hope that winter is gone in 6 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath. It's only 15 degrees here today!

Ann-Marie said...

Mmmm...this made the baby and me want cookies real bad! :-)