Friday, February 01, 2008

Wise Words from a Big Sister

The setup: Girls are sitting at the kitchen island, having breakfast. I have given them sliced bananas and toasted crumpets with butter and honey (they're on their seconds). I've also made some breakfast for their dad and am sadly wondering in my own heart when it's going to be my turn to get something for me.

Elaine: More, Mommy. More nana. More toast.

Lucy: Elaine, please don't urge Mom to keep getting you more things. Mom, can we have some tea?

-----
The setup: Girls are playing dress-up in Lucy's room. I hear a loud scream followed by sobbing.

Lucy: (crying) Mommy, I was just trying to help her get her Sleeping Beauty dress on and then show her how to make it not drag on the floor. And she screamed at me and wouldn't let me help her. She hurt my feelings so bad and she's ruined the whole dress-up time and Mom, she's just SO WICKED!!

------
The setup: Elaine climbed up on the toilet and started fiddling with the light switches in the bathroom. One switch is for the fan, which is broken and makes a horrific grinding noise if you turn it on. She turned it on to catastrophic results.

Elaine: (screaming) MOMMMY! SCAWEE NOISE!! AHHHHHHHHH! I WANT MOMMMMYYYY!!!

Lucy (after running over to turn the switch off): Elaine, I just saved your life. You really should thank me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic!

Ann-Marie said...

I'm amazed she used the word "urge." You and your husband must be quite loquacious with the fancy words! :-)

Alice said...

"Urge" was the most hilarious part of it. The other day she told me she needed to lower her baby doll "cautiously into the bath."

Juliet said...

Now don't get me wrong Alice...I see why God only gave me one child...I don't know if I could have handled more than one like you can.

You kids are such a joy. And they will enjoy having each other for a sister...some day. I know there are days when I wished that Ann-Marie could have a sister.

Ann-Marie said...

Once in 2nd grade, a girl told me I was a "snob" because I used big words like "democracy."

Don't let 'em stop you, Luce!

Alysa said...

oh HI-Lar-I-OUS!!! very, very funny - i laughed aloud in Panera Bread - only one table looked over at me ... =)