Monday, April 18, 2011

Lifted Up

Last night I slept badly, I woke up early this morning without the aid of my alarm--fortunately, because I discovered also that it's broken--and I looked out the window this mid-April day to see grey skies and snow on the ground.

Add to that that this is the girls' spring break and I had hoped to do all sorts of fun things involving the outside with them, and it's supposed to be cold and rainy the whole time. Plus, I can't help but think of this time last year when everything started its downward spiral, and that fills me with anxiety, and combined with a bunch of other things, I just felt low and discouraged to start this Monday.

I wanted to log in to the Scripture memory site I'm in (memorizing one verse every two weeks) because I was a few days late in entering my verse for April 15. I got out my 3 x 5 card spiral where I write all my verses, and as I flipped them over to get to a fresh card, I found this little surprise:



If you can't read that photo, it says in Lucy's best, newly learned cursive:

"For my mom: I love you're [sic] verses! Keep up the good work! I love you! Do you love me? I know you'll say yes."

And my verse for this two weeks is:

Psalm 3:3 "But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head."

For some reason, today that verse sounds a lot like me saying--For God: I love You! Do You love me? I know You'll say yes!"

Then on the way to work, I listened to this song. I listen to the version by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, but here's the original. By the time I got to the stoplight at Spring Brook and Alpine, I was doing my best caucasian interpretation of Calvin Hunt (soloist), no doubt noted by the policeman who pulled up next to me.

So, if you're feeling discouraged today, I hope this lifts your head like it lifts mine:

3 comments:

Mae said...

I also have some verses on my "spiral" that I've been learning.

Thanks for sharing today. May the Lord bless you as you continue to look to Him during these days.

Melanie said...

I was anad it did. Thanks, Alice.
That fantastic note from Luce also put a smile on my face. Miss you lady - I hope the sun comes out for you and the girls this week. Sophie and I have been hearing the robins lately and really is there any more hopeful sound to hear after such a long winter?

Becky said...

I keep picturing you in your car at Spring Brook and Alpine. :)