Wednesday, March 10, 2010

They're Baaaack! (I Think)

This morning I woke up to a beautiful sound. Rain. Rain! And birds singing! This may not seem that exciting to you, but waking up to the sound of snowblowers and snowplows for the past few months will do that to you.

It's actually been raining for a couple of days, and on Sunday as we were walking into church, Elaine held out her hand and asked, "What is this? Rain? Why? Maybe all the birds are spitting on us."

Anyway, in celebration of rain and temperatures in the FIFTIES, I'm wearing my t-shirt with a map of the London underground on it. Lucy interrupted me as I was getting ready.

"Moooooommmm," she wailed. "Elaine is SITTING in MY chair!"

"Are you serious?" I said, continuing to apply mascara. "Elaine has the temerity to sit in your chair when there are three other chairs, two beds, and a rocking horse in your room? It's an outrage. Let's beat her."

A lot of time my kids don't know what I'm talking about, but they can sense I'm not taking them seriously.

"But...she didn't ASK!" she sputtered.

"We definitely need to institute new rules, then. Everybody ask permission before they sit in a chair. Have you made your bed and gotten dressed yet?"

She left, defeated.

A few minutes later, Elaine burst in.

"Mama! Lucy saw...she saw....she saw..." (she was out of breath) "...a ROBIN!"

This is seriously big news, much more important than marauding chair bandits. I ran into their room, where Lucy was standing on her bed in her underwear, looking out the window.

"I DID, Mom, I promise!" Lucy said, knowing that I am doubtful because in the last couple of days they have identified a cardinal, a crow, and a sparrow as a robin. "I didn't see his orange belly, but he went like this!" She gave a convincing robin bounce.

It was good enough for me. Elaine and I stopped by the store for ingredients on the way home from dropping Lucy off at school, and now we have already whipped these up.


Nothing like a good dose of chocolate at 9:20 a.m.


So, if you're in our neighborhood, stop by this afternoon (or any time this week because I'm sure we'll be making more) for a tea party to welcome the robins.

They're back! (maybe) Hopefully they're not spitting on us.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I JUST heard some tweets and twirps in the morning this week! And I know JUST what you mean about the sound of the snowblowers. Ugh. It makes me want to put a pillow over my head. But Robins make me want to go out and get spit upon! :)

Melanie said...

Okay, this is a definite sign that I am on fb way too much but once again I feel the urge to click 'like' after this post. I'm so excited for you guys! I love your traditions and this was one of the first you told me about way back when our December babies were indeed babies. Yay for the robins!

Mae said...

I can hardly wait to see a robin. This morning I shoveled the rest of the snow off our deck thinking it will make spring come sooner. We've had several days in the 50's and the snow is going.