Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Another First

Someone really needs to explain to me how we got so quickly from this:


to THIS!


(Danny--please note the weeds growing right out of my front porch!)

Yup, it is the first day of first grade for Miss Lucy. We went to Target last week and bought the list of supplies as long as my arm, always a sanctification-testing process for me. Then we went and met her new teacher, Mrs. Ramsden. This year, Lucy has her very own desk with her name on it. We also found out that she will be sitting next to the worst-behaved boy from her kindergarten class. I think he finally ended up sitting at a table alone he was so out of control.

"Mooommmm!" Lucy wailed. "I do not want to sit next to him! He is horrible! He had to pull his parrot every single day and even go to the principal's office!" I gotta tell you--I don't want her sitting next to him either, but I asked, "Well, what's the first thing we're going to do?"

"We're going to pray," she said promptly. That's my girl.

"Right, we're going to pray. We'll pray for him and we'll pray for you. And if you have any problems, you come and tell Daddy and me right away so we and your teacher can help you."

That seemed to help, as did the fact that there is a fish swimming in a bowl on the teacher's desk. It's name is Gem, and each first grader will get the chance to bring Gem home for the weekend. Oh, goody.

Last night as I was tucking her in bed, Lucy told me, "I'm a little bit nervous about tomorrow."

"Don't worry about it, "I told her. "Everyone is nervous on their first day. I felt like throwing up on my first day--and that was just last week! Your teacher will be there and that nice student teacher too, you know, the one who said her name is Amelia Bedelia!"

"Oh, that pretty lady we met who was smiling all the time at us? She'll be there too? Because she really had very good hair."

Right. As long as there is someone available with good hair, everything will turn out OK.

Every first day of school when I was growing up, my mom would come in our rooms, singing "School Days" to us. The thought of doing that made me feel a little sad, so this morning I woke Lucy up singing "Good Morning" from "Singin' in the Rain" instead.

She made her bed and got into her uniform and came down to breakfast, which was, of course, muffins since that's what they always had on the first day of school in the Betsy-Tacy books. Then we hit the front porch to take pictures.



Lucy especially wanted me to take a picture of her backpack. We bypassed the Disney princesses, Barbie, Tinkerbell, and even Hello Kitty when we saw this one at Target. It pretty much has "Lucy" written all over it.


So here she is, all ready for a big new world of being gone all day, reading, math, science, school plays, and all that school entails.

I'm going to miss this little face every day though!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness - I'm still thinking she's in kindergarten and here she is going to all-day school with all that that entails and looking so grown up! I can only imagine what a head trip this week has been for you and Darren!

Danny Lucas said...

Lucy's face is identical coming home from the hospital in a carrier, and going to school years later.

Darren outdid his photo artistry on the final picture. There is a face, anyone could fall in love with.

I also liked Lucy leaning her leg on the lion in an above pic with mom and sister. It is just so natural.

How God blesses all of you with an abundance of joy in days of inside anguish. These pictures will be remembered a lifetime.

PS. I thought that weed up there was the state flower and had federal protection as an endangered species. How else does dust, weeds, leftovers stay around your place without federal help?

Do all of your socks come out of the dryer too? I lose one every time.....dryer food, I think.

Blessings to all; hugs too!

Juliet said...

I've been away from my computer too long. But with my large family that's the way it goes.

Love seeing photos of everyone. And I love "firsts" of anything. Lucy looks so cute and so does her bookbag.