Monday, March 03, 2008

After the weekend...

Friday night, Darren decided he wanted to take Lucy to a hockey game. She was all excited to go even though she didn't even know what hockey is just because she loves hanging out with Dad, and any sporting event with him means copious amounts of junk food for dinner. After they left and I got Elaine down to bed, I made myself a delicious bacon-avocado-tomato sandwich on sourdough bread with chips and washed down with pop with a dessert of Easter candy and ate it all in bed while watching an old Miss Marple movie. To me, it was the height of social splendor and there's nothing I'd rather be doing more on a Friday night.

Saturday Darren and Lucy went bowling, another first for her (too bad, no pictures). She came home all excited because she'd gotten a spare, which now places her bowling at a higher level than anything I've ever achieved.

Elaine and I stayed home, cleaned the house, and chatted as we often do. A few weeks ago, we took the girls out to breakfast but didn't tell them before we got there. We pulled into the parking lot of Perkins, and Lucy said, "Are we going out to breakfast? Can we eat at this restaurant?" as if this wonderful idea had just occurred to her. I said, "Well, you can, but not Elaine. We're leaving her here in the car." I keep forgetting Elaine's not a baby anymore, because she really understood that and burst into tears. I had to apologize and say, "I'm sorry, Smoochie! I was just teasing you! I would never go to breakfast without you!" Throughout the rest of the day, she would occasionally say (in an accusing voice), "You tease me at breffuss, Mom."

Anyway, now anytime I tell her "No" about anything, even legitimately she'll say, "Don't tease me, Mom!" as if she can't imagine that she would ever be denied anything, so I guess we're still working on comprehension. I should probably stop teasing her for now, but it's kind of fun so I'm finding it hard to resist. On Saturday she wanted to go to the store with me, and I said, "Nah, you just stay here while I go." She looked up and said, "Don't tease. You're wicked, Mom." OK, then.

Saturday night Juliet from "Retired and Loving It," her husband Gary, her daughter Ann-Marie from "The Left-Handed Rabbit," and her husband Brett, all came over for pizza and games. We've known Juliet and Gary for a little while now, but we hadn't met Ann-Marie and Brett in person yet. I told the girls they were all coming, and I asked Elaine, "Are you going to be nice and friendly and talk?" She said, "I will peek at them." That's pretty much just what she did. Lucy however talked Juliet's ear off and discussed the intricate plot points of Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Blossom Festival and showed both Juliet and Ann-Marie her room.

We dispatched the girls pretty quickly to bed, but I think they knew they were missing out on having fun because Lucy asked, "You're having PIZZA?!" and when I tucked Elaine in she asked suspiciously, "You goin' to bed too now?"

We all had the aforementioned pizza and Gary's made-from-scratch apple pie. Then we had a Sequence cage match, which the women narrowly lost because Gary and Darren engaged in table talk. Cheaters.

I'll have a couple pictures tomorrow...

3 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

We had such a wonderful time. All Moody...except for Gary! Brett and I really enjoyed meeting you, Darren, Lucy, and Elaine! Thanks again for having us all over!

And yes, indeedy, they were SOME cheaters!

Alice said...

I asked Lucy the next day, "Did you like Mrs. Soderstrom?" She said, "Yes, I did, and I really liked that shirt she had on." :-)

Thanks for coming--we loved having you!

Ann-Marie said...

Wow - and after I threw her on the floor and everything!