Wednesday, November 21, 2007

An Exchange of Letters

Earlier this week, Darren had lunch with Pastor Williquette. On the way out of the restaurant, Pastor grabbed two balloons for Darren to bring home to the girls. They were thrilled (especially since the balloons were from him). Unfortunately, Lucy lost hold of hers, and it sailed into the wild (gray) yonder. When I was tucking her in bed that night, she said, "Mom, I'm writing a thank-you note tomorrow and here's what it will say."

Dear Pastor Williquette:

I love you. Thank you for the red balloon. But...balloons don't last forever.

Love,

Lucy

And here is what he wrote back to her:

Dear Lucy,

You are right balloons don't last forever, and that can make us sad. But God gives us many other things to make us happy besides balloons. He gives us good daddys and mommys. He give us little sisters like Elaine. He gives us people in our church who love us. I am sorry you lost your red balloon, but remember that God has given you many other very good things. And remember most of all the God loves you more than anyone else and that if you are His child, you will never lose Him.

I love you too Lucy,

Pastor Williquette

p.s. Please tell your dad and mom and Elaine I said, "Hi."

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! That is SO super sweet! Kudos to Pastor W. He always seems so busy when I've had to talk to him, rushed, you know? It's wonderful to know he would take time to answer a little girl's letter, and SO sweetly, too.

Those little things stick in your mind though, since I remember my childhood pastor helping me on a school project once, and I totally fell in love with him like a substitute grandpa (since both of mine were gone).

By the way, Lucy sounds awfully intelligent. How old is she?

Alice said...

Yeah, he is fantastic. He and Lucy are good buds. They run into each other frequently at Sam's Club and Super Wal-Mart too. We're keeping it quiet (from her) that he and Vicki may be leaving soon. We're so upset ourselves, and we're sure not looking forward to breaking it to her!

She's 4 1/2...going on 42. :-)